The History Of Blakeley Park
By | October 26, 2019
The last major battle of the Civil War in the United States was fought in what was once known as the town of Blakeley named after Josiah Blakeley.
In the 1820s, there were over 4,000 people that resided in the town. As the population slowly declined until it was almost completely abandoned, it then became a place to house the Confederate troops and became known as Fort Blakeley. During the Civil War, the Confederate soldiers fought here against the Union army and the battle known as the Battle of Fort Blakeley took place in April of 1865. It happened just hours after General Lee surrendered to Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox. That day, out of 16,000 soldiers, more than 4,000 were killed in battle.
The town itself no longer exists but there are many remnants that do such as the old oak tree that was used by the court system for hangings, a brick kiln, war equipment, and other monuments.
Before Blakeley was established, there was a Native American village on the land as well as a large plantation after that.